Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Have you seen my website? - Akshay kumar

Have you checked www.akshaykumar.org One phone call to Akshay Kumar and the actor would test you: “Have you seen my website? Check it and then call me. We’ll talk more.” Kumar insisted that his web page was checked before he was interviewed. Log on and you’ll know why.

It has two sections: Akshay before 2000 and Akshay post 2000, apart from notes between the phases which read like Post-its left by an ailing actor. Sample this: “Is this a slump phase in my career? Why are my ‘affairs’ being talked about more than my movies? At least I can do my own stunts.” Bollywood’s most bankable hero does not need reassurance at the moment, but Kumar says reading these lines tell him where he is coming from.

“I’ve been to the moon and back. I now know I can act and be funny. But when I see my earlier work, I want to cringe. That wasn’t me,” rattles the 39-year-old.

Kumar, who had a gamut of big films over the past year, Mujhse Shadi Karogi, Namastey London, Bhagam Bhag and Jaan-e-Mann, had started the multiplex-moolah trend, when he signed a first four-film deal with Adlabs. Now, with Sajid Nadiadwala’s much-awaited Heyy Baby due for release next month, Kumar is the most wanted star in the industry. But the hesitant hero is wary.

“Don’t say I’m a big star yet. I’m just starting. I want to laugh my way to the box office. Just wish me luck,” he says.

From this July until next, Kumar’s call sheet has as many as five probable blockbusters, which include two Yash Raj Films. There are Tashan, directed by Victor Acharya, Shaad Ali’s Tevar, Vipul Shah’s Singh The King, Rohan Sippy’s Mera Naam Chin Chin Chin and Nagesh Kukunoor’s Tasveer. Kumar will also be teaming up with Hollywood star Salma Hayek and Irrfan Khan for producer Bunty Behal’s film. Apart from this, Kumar flies out next July with Amitabh Bachchan for a world tour with an itinerary of 35 shows.

Director Shah, whose Namastey London has recently been added to the Oscar library, is all praise for Kumar. “Some actors bloom in the profession while some are born stars. Akshay came with no godfathers and no training. He used his success and failures to carve himself into a performer,” says Shah, adding that ‘King Khiladi’ may replace ‘Khan kings’.

The men credited for Kumar’s khiladi avatar, Abbas-Mustan, are also amazed. “When we cast him in Khiladi, he was a nervous wreck. He told us to give him few dialogues and more action,” says Abbas. “And now he’s an ace at comedy too.”

Well, Kumar is having the last laugh.

No comments: